Ann Arbor, MI
The Operations Engineer provides daily operations support to the manufacturing units that affect plant productivity, product quality, plant safety and environmental performance. In this capacity, will routinely review manufacturing data, cycle times, product quality parameters and pertinent environmental data to determine compliance with set process controls and to maximize safety and profits.
- Act as a champion for advancing process improvements in the areas assigned
- Help implement changes in the process that eliminate special causes that create variability in the process and engage in activities that improve process capability
- Identify opportunities in the process where capital improvements are necessary and solicit assistance from the engineering department, as necessary, to implement these improvements
- Participate in process improvement efforts focusing on streamlining and optimizing targeted products in the area.
- Will identify capital projects for implementation that will resolve chronic operating problems and improve the unit's performance (eg. throughput, process capability, energy efficiency, etc.)
- Support the area's capital program by participating in capital project teams and contributing expertise during the project design and construction phases to ensure the safe, efficient and timely execution of the project.
- Provide commissioning and start up assistance in assigned production areas
- B.S. Chemical Engineer degree only considered
- Ideal 3-7 years of experience years of experience in a chemical manufacturing facility – providing technical support, day to day troubleshooting, root cause analysis, etc
- Open to chemical background - batch organic synthesis and/or polymerization would be ideal but open to continuous operations manufacturing
- Proven track record of working with operations and maintenance personnel to implement process improvements
- Familiarity with a wide range of unit operations is desired - filtration, drying, batch and continuous distillation, heat exchangers, pumps, evaporators, instrumentation and controls, etc
- Experience with programming/configuration of a DCS would be a big plus
- Working knowledge of the PSM standard is also ideal (worked in a PSM covered plant and have experience dealing with hazardous chemicals)
- Must possess excellent communication skills and experience interfacing with people at all levels of the company from operations personnel to senior management
- Self-motivated and able to work independently without much direct supervision
Assistant Technical Recruiter
I am a assistant technical recruiter, working with Bill Karalis, for the last 22 years. We recruit chemical engineers working nationwide. Since its inception in 1978, CPS (Chemical Personnel Search), Chemical Engineering division has become one of the leading recruiting firms in the country. We have successfully filled a wide array of positions in petrochemicals, specialty chemicals, bulk and commodity chemicals, foods, pharmaceuticals, consumer products, plastics, packaging, instrumentation, controls and process equipment. We have made placements at all levels from recent graduate to engineering management. Specific areas of expertise include: process, project, design, product & process development, pilot plant, tech service and applications, engineering, environmental, operations and process control & instrumentation.