Ogden, UT US
We are working with our client to find a Principal Scientist in their small molecule synthesis R&D lab. The right individual will lead projects (internally and externally) to develop customized ingredients to address complex problems facing the nutrition, health, and food markets. A global leader in choline production, nutrient encapsulation, chelated minerals, and functional ingredients the right candidate will develop specialty-packaged chemicals for use in healthcare and other industries, and also provided chelated minerals to the micronutrient agricultural market
Role and Responsibilities
The Research Scientist / Principal Scientist – Minerals and Nutrients will leverage their scientific training and experience to develop new products and support existing products, primarily for Company’s Minerals and Nutrients business. The Principal Scientist will be expected to take on challenging technical problems and be able to lead research efforts that reduce concepts into next-generation and breakthrough new products. Additionally, the individual will become the internal technical expert on choline and will be a leader for R&D projects in support of this critical material in Company’s portfolio.
- Safety: Champion safety in all activities, including design and execution of lab and pilot work. Ensure that lab work is conducted in a safe manner via hazard reviews, SOP’s, appropriate PPE.
- Manage a complex portfolio of projects:
- Be the Technical Project Leader (PM) and/or lead scientist on new product develop projects (AIM projects) focused on choline, minerals, or other nutrients. These projects will involve significant technical complexity and may require the management of cross-functional teams and/or external resources.
- Be a Project Leader or Team Member for projects in support of the product line.
- Become an internal expert on choline chemistry and material science. Such projects may include manufacturing process optimization, studying choline degradation pathways, making choline salts easier to process in our customer’s plants.
- Potentially mentor technicians and/or junior scientists, ensure they work safely, and effectively meet project objectives.
- Interface with technical experts across our client’s organization to promote the application knowledge of choline and ensure coordination between R&D and the business units.
- Ensure the laboratory facilities are adequately designed to execute projects in the portfolio, recommend new equipment as needed to advance projects, maintain existing equipment.
- Operate at the interface of functional disciplines, coordinate the activities of specialists to design work programs, participate in their execution to provide support to all variety of technical projects. Travel to the various plants, develop close relationships with key Operations personnel, as required.
- Scan the patent literature and alert the organization to technology developments involving choline and other nutrients outside of company.
- Meet with customers and represent company’s technology, as required.
- Be an external face for company in the technical community; publish articles, file patents, and make presentations at industry association meetings.
- Prepare and deliver project presentations and reports to Company’s Operating Committee, Chief Technology Officer, and other leadership
**If you would like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Steve Sapita at email@example.com.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- MS degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 10+ years of professional industrial experience or a Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with 5+ years of industrial experience. Job title will depend on experience.
- Experience with small molecule synthesis is required.
- Preferred industrial experience in the fine chemical, API, or pharmaceutical industries
- Proven technical expert with chemistry bench skills, research experience, and proven track record of successful project execution and patent filing
- Ability to lead large, complex, multifunctional projects. Track record of on time delivery of multiple initiatives on one or more complex projects
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Steve Sapita at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Your Recruiter
Senior Technical Recruiter
SPECIALTIES: All Industrial Research & Development Laboratory related positions including: Formulation Chemist; Synthetic Chemist; R & D Leadership; Analytical Chemistry; Technical Service; Regulatory; Project Mangers; Process Chemistry; Environmental and Health; Quality Positions; Material Scientist.
EXPERIENCE: My area of specialty includes: Coatings, Adhesives, Sealants, Specialty Chemicals, Building Materials, Polymers, Petrochemical, Agrochemical; Surface Cleaners; Ink; Surfactants; Resins.
The levels of candidates that I place include Chemists; Sr Chemists; Innovation; Directors; Quality Professionals; Technical Service Professionals; Production Supervisors; EHS Specialists; Scientist; Regulatory Professionals; and Laboratory Support Personnel.
I’M IN THIS BUSINESS BECAUSE: There’s no better feeling than helping someone realize their potential by assisting them in advancing their career. I love making that connection! My goal is to consistently build long lasting relationships with both my clients and my applicants.
CLIENTS CAN COUNT ON ME BECAUSE: I pride myself on the quality of my work and I truly CARE about their needs. The better I know them, the better my understanding is as to who would fit their needs.