Louisville, KY 40211
The Process Engineer provides daily operations support to the manufacturing unit that affect plant productivity, product quality, plant safety and environmental performance. In this capacity, the incumbent will routinely review manufacturing data, cycle times, product quality parameters and pertinent environmental data to determine compliance with set controls. Deviations from standard conditions will be discussed with the Production Manager and corrective action taken.
The Process Engineer will lead efforts to advance process improvement in the area. Will identify opportunities in the process where capital improvements are necessary and solicit assistance from the engineering department, as necessary, to implement these improvements.
The Process Engineer will identify capital projects for implementation that will resolve chronic operating problems and improve the unit's performance (throughput, process capability, energy efficiency, etc.)
The Process Engineer will support the area's capital program by participating in capital project teams and contributing expertise during the project design and construction phases to ensure the safe, efficient and timely execution of the project. May also provide commissioning and start up assistance on selected capital projects.
At times, the Process Engineer may be required to execute small capital projects. Responsibilities for these capital projects include developing a written scope of work, preparing the capital appropriation package, coordinating construction activities & managing the project costs.
- Surveys the process area on a daily basis by examining operating data, production quantities, raw material yields and utility usages to ensure budgeted levels are attained.
- Resolves technical operating problems to minimize process costs and unit downtime.
- Develops plans and coordinates activities to improve process capability and works with operations personnel to identify and eliminate common cause variability in the process.
- Participates in incident investigations and provides technical assistance to the investigation team for action items requiring engineering solutions.
- Participates in process hazard reviews that revalidate the current process design and address recommendations resulting from these reviews.
- Performs an engineering assessment for engineering requests and helps to develop the project justification, including determination of a preliminary ROI (Return On Investment).
- Participate on capital project teams from the pre feasibility to the implementation project phases and coordinate project construction activities with the engineering department to ensure a safe, successful and timely project start up.
- Monitors equipment performance and offers recommendations to improve its performance.
- Assists in a backup role to the Production Manager.
- Assists in training of new production team members.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering Degree
- Ideally 3- 10 years of experience in a chemical plant/manufacturing environment
- Experience in a PSM regulated process/plant
- Experience with batch polymerization processes highly desirable but open to other chemical industries/processes
- Project Management experience up $100K ideal
- Experience with DCS ideal
- Six Sigma certification would be ideal but not required
- Strong analytical/problem solving skill.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill.